Top Ten Reasons to Stay at the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
By Elizabeth Kang
Maui is, quite simply, magic. It’s a location we find ourselves returning to again and again, and when not there, daydreaming about constantly. Based on the number of resorts and hotels to choose from on the island, it’s clear that many people feel the same way.
How to narrow down from the many choices and choose where to stay? We’re here to help. We’ve found a favorite in the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa. Read on to hear the top ten reasons this stunning resort tops our list of best stays in Maui — as if you needed another reason to visit.
10. It’s suitable for both families and couples. Whether you’re traveling with little ones for a family vacay, or headed to Maui for a romantic getaway, Sheraton Maui is perfect for either situation. Children and teens will find plenty of diversions, from the lagoon-style swimming pool, splash pool and waterslide, to beachside s’mores and easy access to snorkeling. Adult couples and friend groups can escape to tranquility by traveling during the “off-season” (i.e, when school is in session) and staying in the resort’s new “Moana Wing,” which offers unparalleled ocean views, exclusivity and privacy.
9. It’s walkable to nearby attractions. One of the best aspects of the resort’s stellar location is its walkability. Maui’s year-round, perfect weather makes walking anywhere a treat, and we love to take advantage by ditching the rental car as often as possible. Along with several nearby beaches, there are numerous cafes, coffee shops, boutiques and other resorts within easy walking distance from the hotel. There’s also an electric-bike rental shop just a few minutes away, on foot.
8. The plentiful amenities. With a world-class spa, gorgeous lagoon-style pool, beachside access and more, the Sheraton Maui offers amenities galore. There’s also a Black Rock Scuba tour agency on the property for planning unbeatable scuba and snorkeling tours, which also offers paddle boards and surf boards for rent. A number of lively bars and restaurants are available to choose from, on the property and there are onsite outlet shops for browsing souvenirs and picking up last-minute necessities. A fitness center with cardio and weight equipment is available for guests’ use, as well as outdoor tennis courts.
7. It offers luxury at an affordable price point. This four-star resort feels upscale and luxurious, and offers everything you’d expect from a high-end resort, without the steep daily rate. In fact, during the off-season, guests can find room rates around $500 a night — a price practically unheard of at other high-end resorts. We appreciate that the Sheraton Maui offers affordable room rates on the most sough-after and priciest Hawaiian island.
6. The unparalleled views. Because this iconic resort was built back in 1963, its developers got first dibs on its stunning, unbeatable location. The jaw-dropping, panoramic sunset views from the hotel’s lobby, restaurants and balconies will take your breath away. Booking a room in the hotel’s new “Moana Wing” guarantees an awe-inspiring and unparalleled panoramic seascape view.
5. Spacious and contemporary accommodations. Rooms at the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa are spacious, clean and tastefully decorated, with recently renovated rooms in a range of styles that suite any need. Whether you choose an ocean-view king or resort-view double, you can expect lots of space to spread out, ultra-comfortable, plush beds, and everyday necessities at your fingertips.
4. It embodies the aloha spirit. The welcoming aloha spirit is alive and well at the Sheraton Maui, where impeccably trained staff treat guests like royalty. We truly feel like “Ohana” when we arrive at the resort, and that warm, inviting feeling endures throughout our stay.
3. It celebrates native Hawaiian culture. Another favorite aspect of Sheraton Maui is its attention to and celebration of ancient Hawaiian culture. The resort offers a number of activities that celebrate indigenous Hawaiian customs, including hosting a spectacular and authentic beachfront Luau, and a nightly torch-lighting and cliff diving ceremony — an ancient and elusive Hawaiian ritual. Live Hawaiian music and hula dancing is commonplace at the resort, as well.
2. Food and beverage choices are bar none. From TeppanYaki to a gourmet breakfast buffet and traditional shave ice, Sheraton Maui offers a dazzling variety of mouthwatering food, drinks and treats, all on property. Enjoying tropical cocktails and “pupus” at the Sheraton’s Sandbar while viewing the Cliff Diving Ceremony at sunset was a memorable highlight of our trip. The Sandbar offers a spectacular view, perched above the property and overlooking Black Rock.
1. Best location on Maui. Situated on 23 oceanfront acres in Kaanapali — the most coveted area of Maui — the Sheraton Maui boasts the best location of any resort on the island. This longstanding resort was built around the legendary Puu Kekaa Black Rock, famous among thrill-seekers who travel from afar to cliff dive from the rugged rock. The location also boasts access to the best beaches in Maui, and its lush grounds are abundant with gorgeous, native flowers and tropical plants.