It’s been four years since I began the journey of losing fifty pounds. This is the first time in my life that I’ve lost weight and kept it off. What’s ironic is that I didn’t start out intending to lose weight. I was horribly depressed and suffering with a variety of health issues when I read an article about an elimination diet by Mark Hyman, M.D. The premise is to eliminate toxic food and possible allergens from your diet which can cause inflammation and toxicity. Dr. Hyman says in his book, The Ultra Simple Diet, “The real trick is that the same things that make people sick make them fat. In fact, being overweight is actually a symptom of an underlying health problem.” As I cleaned up my diet and followed his program, my body healed and the pounds melted away almost effortlessly. I never felt hungry and did not feel like I was dieting. I did however make some huge lifestyle changes. It is worth it though. I feel ten years younger. Here’s how I did it:
1) I strive to eat whole organic food that was grown from the earth. This means minimizing or even eliminating processed, packaged food.
2) Eliminating the top allergens from my diet for at least a couple of weeks allowed me to identify what was making me sick. This included gluten (wheat, rye, barley, spelt), dairy, soy, citrus, nightshades (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant), corn and eggs. Slowly, one at a time, I added these items back into my diet, journaling to track any changes in my body. I now avoid those foods that cause any type of reaction. I also avoid beef and pork focusing more on organic chicken, beans and fish (only fish considered low in toxicity).
3) I’ve eliminated white sugar and high-fructose corn syrup, caffeine in all forms, alcohol, trans fat and junk food.
4) I drink several quarts of purified water every day.
5) Exercise is important as well. I work out at least 30 minutes a day and break a good sweat 3-5 times a week with intense exercise or sauna.
Making these changes in my life was a major lifestyle shift but has forever changed the way I feel and look.
Disclaimer: I am not a Nutritionist, Registered Dietician or Medical Professional. The information I provide here are simply tips on how I succeeded on an elimination diet. Please always first follow the direction of your doctor or specialist.