- Batch of baked cupcakes
- Peanut-shaped candies (such as Circus Peanuts)
- Rolling pin
- Kitchen knife
- Blue flexible candies (such as Air Heads)
- White candy melts and small (5/8 inch) round fondant cutter (or white candies 1/2 to 5/8 inches wide)
- Brown candy-coated chocolates (such as M&M Minis)
1. Frost the cupcakes.
|2. Use the rolling pin to flatten a peanut-shaped candy for each cupcake, as shown. Cut a 1/2-inch piece from one end to use as a bill. Then use a knife to score crisscross lines in the longer piece to create a platypus tail.|
|3. For each platypus body, use a flexible candy. Stick the bill in place as shown, using a dab of frosting to hold it if needed. Use the fondant cutter to cut a pair of eyes from white candy melts, and stick a brown candy-coated chocolate atop each one. Stick the eyes in place above the bill.|
4. To assemble each cupcake, gently push a completed platypus body partway into the cupcake. Do the same with the tail, positioning it right behind the body and tilting it slightly to the side.
5. Store the finished cupcakes in a cool, dry place until serving time.