Peanut butter packs these breakfast flapjacks with protein and just the right amount of nutty flavor. Freeze any extras between layers of waxed paper, then simply heat them in the microwave for 35 seconds, flipping halfway through, for a busy-morning breakfast.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- Banana slices (optional)
- Honey roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, sugar, and oil until smooth. Beat in the egg, then the milk. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Next, lightly coat a griddle or skillet with oil and heat it over medium-high heat. Drop the batter onto the griddle by 1/4-cup measures. Cook until tiny bubbles appear on the surfaces of the cakes, then flip them and cook a few minutes more. Serve topped with banana slices and chopped peanuts, and drizzled with maple syrup. Makes twelve 4-inch pancakes.