Honua Kai Resort & Spa is a lovely, newly renovated beachside resort located in the coveted West side of Maui. It’s upscale, but it won’t break the budget, and is ultra kid-friendly, safe and welcoming. We love that it’s a mid-size to smaller resort, and feels intimate and less crowded, but still offers plenty of fun and excitement. Read on to find out the top ten reasons why Honua Kai should be your next resort pick for a fun-filled Maui family vacation.
10. Activities and Extras Galore.
Honua Kai Resort offers plenty of fun activities to keep the whole family entertained — many for no additional charge. Guests can enjoy a complimentary one-hour photography course, take advantage of the boogie boards and snorkel gear available to take to the beach, or grill a locally caught fish on the available outdoor BBQs. Spend some time working off last night’s dinner at the complimentary resort gym, or sign up for one of the amazing excursions available through the concierge (zip-lines, helicopter tours, snorkeling, biking, hiking, surfing, and more.)
9. The Views!
Oversized, private Lanais furnished with comfortable lounge chairs and tables make for some of the best sunset and whale watching we’ve experienced. Mountain views and ocean views are both incredibly breathtaking from the resort. Watching the sun set with a tropical drink from the bar is what Hawaiian vacation memories are made of. You won’t want to take your eyes off the thirty-eight gorgeous acres of tropical foliage and beachfront scenery.
8. Incredible Service.
The warmth and hospitality we experienced at Honua Kai Resort was beyond reproach. The friendly and genuine staff we encountered everywhere from the concierge and spa, to the pool and beach area, made us feel welcomed and relaxed. Honua Kai feels much less congested and crowded than larger, “mega” resorts in the area, allowing guests to experience a more personalized and intimate customer service.
7. Unbeatable Value.
While many comparable resorts in the area charge a nightly rate of $500 or more, we found the price tag at Honua Kai extremely reasonable, especially considering the size of the rooms. Spacious studio suites that sleep up to four people start at just around $230. With such an amazing aquatic/pool area and full-sized kitchens to cook meals in, the resort is an exciting, fun and extremely affordable option for families.
6. Ahhh-Mazing Spa.
The Ho’ola Spa at Honua Kai Resort is a special experience you won’t want to miss. The spa uses products from Hawaii’s luxury beauty brand Malie Organics, and focuses on the balance of earth and sea, blending local, indigenous ingredients from each to create a memorable and blissful spa treatment like no other. Among the many treatments available are “warm stone rituals,” and various massages and facials, and also a “Himalayan Salt Room,” which was designed with panels of crystal salt to release “negative ions.”
5. Delicious Dining Options. Honua Kai’s onsite restaurant Duke’s Beach House offers something for everyone. The restaurant serves local, sustainably sourced seafood, fresh in-season produce, and juicy mouthwatering steaks, among other delicious options. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Duke offers special “keiki” kid’s menus, and hosts an amazing Sunday Brunch. The extensive wine & cocktail menu offers plenty of great options to sip on while enjoying live music, which plays frequently at the popular restaurant. Other dining options at the resort include the Aina Gourmet Market, where guests can order from a full coffee bar, made-to-order deli, and pick up grab-n-go meals. Whaler’s General Store is also a great place to grab snacks for the beach and food and drinks to take to your room, among other things.
4. The Pool Area! A definite highlight of Honua Kai Resort is the expansive and exciting pool area, which spans three acres. Five hot tubs, various pools, a waterslide, waterfall, kids shallow pool, sandy play area and children’s play area with fountains are all included. The main pool area features hidden grottos and serene waterfalls where guests can easily laze around for hours. Rent a tube float for the big kids (or adults) and some water toys for little ones, and everyone will be entertained for hours. Babies and small children will love splashing around the shallow children’s pool and playing in the sandy play area, as well as the cute and safe kiddie fountain area.
3. Room to Spread Out. Among the best reasons to love this resort is the ample space it gives families in its apartment-style rooms. Whether you book a Studio, One-Bedroom, Two-Bedroom, or Three-Bedroom Suite, you’ll find plenty of room in the open floor plans to sleep comfortably, spread out, and relax. Each room is equipped with a full gourmet kitchen (with a blender, toaster, coffee maker etc,) living area with sofa bed, washer & dryer, and much more. The decor is tastefully done in rich, warm wood and contemporary Hawaiian-themed decor.
2. Location, Location, Location! You can’t pick a better location in Maui than the stunning Kaanapali district on the West side, and Honua Kai is nestled right by Kahekili Beach Park (a gorgeous public beach) and plenty of shopping and restaurants. The ever-popular make-your-own-pancake eatery Slappy Cakes is just a short jaunt from Honua Kai, as well as Times Supermarket, where you can pick up all the supplies you need to create gourmet meals in your full-sized chef’s kitchen back at the resort. Black Rock Beach is also a short distance away, where visitors love to snorkel, cliff dive, and marvel at the lava promontory. The renowned historic town of Lahaini is only a few minutes drive away, with plenty of shopping and eateries to occupy an entire day.
1. Ultra Kid-Friendly. From the shallow children’s pool and sandy play area to the generously sized suites, Honua Kai Resort is among the most family friendly resorts in Maui. Two kids stay free using existing bedding, and guests can request a crib to rent for only $8 a day. Full-sized kitchens make it easy to cook meals your children are familiar with, and every room is equipped with a washer and dryer, so messy, sandy clothes are not an issue during your stay. Self-serve parking makes it easy for families to get in and out of the resort efficiently, and the convenient location makes walking to the beach, shopping or restaurants a breeze on little legs. The whole family will be begging to return to Honua Kai Resort & Spa!