- Who will be looking out for my camper? A camp’s staff members can make an incredible difference in your child’s camp experience. Are staff members educators, college students, or high school kids? How are staff members hired and trained? A good camp staff will deliver enthusiasm, inspiration, motivation, and mentorship—much more than just child care.
- Will my camper be safe? How are campers supervised? What is the camper-to-staff ratio? What are the check-in and check-out procedures? Will your camper have a dedicated staff member to talk to if they need help?
- What will my camper do all day? What’s the schedule and why is it set up that way? Is the day a well-balanced experience? Some camps offer projects that build each day on the next, others give more of a menu of activities that kids can pick and choose from each day. Find out the camp’s format and ask why it is structured as so. This will help you figure out their approach, and if it is a good fit for your family.
- What will my camper learn? A long break from school doesn’t mean a long break from learning. Summer vacation is full of opportunities to complement similar education that happens during the school year. Ask more than just what activities your children will do; discover the things they will learn and what skills they will walk away with.
- Is it fun? We are talking about summer camp, after all! Every
By Galileo Learning, operator of Camp Galileo. www.galileolearning.com