1. Baby Seats. Invest in a combination stroller/car seat. When traveling with small kids, every inch of gear counts. Also consider packing a compact high chair to prevent lap sharing during meal time.
2. Toys Toys Toys! Bring a new bag of toys for the car or plane, in addition to their favorites toy, blankie, or game.
3. Get the Latest Apps. Kiddies love playing on your phone. Give them a child friendly app that will keep them distracted at the most difficult times. Download educational apps that will keep them engaged, however do limit their tech time to a minimum.
4. Think Kid Friendly. Make decisions that reflect the entire family, and yes the kids too! Is your hotel family friendly? What amenities will grandma have for kids? Are there emergency facilities close by?
5. Split up. Consider splitting up a few times while on vacation. Separate the kids so they can have alone time with each parent. This should create calmness amongst the family when reunited.
6. Don’t Forget the Essentials. Bring a small supply of medicine for emergency and precautionary incidents (Cough medicine and fever reducer, Tylenol, Benadryl, and Aspirin for example), sunscreen lotions for adults and children, and sanitary wipes for dirty play dates and extensive travel days.